Apart from being disruptive on our bed partner’s sleep, snoring is often dismissed to be natural, and thus, nothing to be overly concerned about. However, snoring, especially frequent and loud ones, may be a symptom of sleep apnea—a common and potentially serious health issue that affects breathing during sleep.
What is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is a disorder that affects the way a person breathes during sleep. It is characterized by repeated stop and start of breathing while you are asleep. If untreated, sleep apnea can cause brief breathing interruptions that usually last between 10 to 20 seconds, occurring up to more than a hundred times a night. This in turn jolts you out of your natural sleep rhythm, which prompts you to spend more time in light sleep than in the much needed deep sleep.
Sleep apnea is of different types:
• Obstructive sleep apnea – the most common type of sleep apnea, which causes people to snore.
• Central sleep- the less common type of sleep apnea characterized by rare or lack of snoring.
• Complex sleep apnea- a combination of obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea.
Due to deep sleep deprivation occurring frequently a person may experience daytime sleepiness, slow reflexes, and hard time concentrating making him or her at high risk of meeting an accident. Apart from this, more serious health problems can be developed due to sleep apnea, including: high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, heart disease and weight gain.
The most common signs of sleep apnea are:
• Choking and gasping follow snoring pauses.
• Sleepiness during the day
• Morning headaches
• Memory or learning problems
• Concentration problems
• Irritability, depression, mood swings and/or personality changes
• Frequently waking up to urinate
• Dry mouth or sore throat when you wake up.
Sleep Apnea Treatment from ENT of Georgia South
ENT of Georgia South is your best bet when it comes to finding the right treatments for sleep apnea. Out team of highly skilled medical staff are well trained to provide only the best medical treatment for our patients. ENT of Georgia South uses state-of-the-art technology for the safest and most trusted service.
Through thorough checkup, we can easily detect sleep apnea, determine which type, and then give you the most fitting treatment that suits your lifestyle, needs and preferences. So, if you are suspecting that you have this health problem, book your consultation today!